Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cadences

Music has commas, full stops and paragraph used in the same way as storytelling.  The term for phrase (sentence) ending is called cadence.

Cadence means return to the I/i chord from iv or V chord. The stopping position of music that does not make sense to listener will not be fulfilling. Audiences expect a certain closure.

Authentic (Perfect) Cadences - V/v to I/i

Plagal Cadences IV/iv to I/i. It is used to end a phase rather than the song because they do not sound decisive as Authentic Cadences.  

Deceptive or interrupted cadences is to resolve the V/v to any chord other than I/i. The most common ones are V/v to VI/vi. This is one of the weakest cadence as it makes one feels incomplete.  Other forms are V to  IV/ii/V/VIIl.

Half (Imperfect) Cadences stop at IV, iv, V or v and not resolved to I (thus half of the cadence).

No comments: